Sunday 23 November 2008

The Loveliness of Christ

I am thinking that perhaps we are becoming a bit imbalanced in that we may be spending too much time and energy dissecting our own hearts - a needed exercise - and not enough focusing on the loveliness and beauty of Christ. What an attractive thing it is to see Christ in all His beauty. Not that I have so seen Him, but I know that one day I shall see Him as He is (1 Jn.3). Real beauty is an attractive thing - even fallen beauty attracts us; but the beauty of Christ is lovely beyond description; I do not have the linguistic ability to write of my Saviour's beauty in superlative terms, another demonstration of my sinfulness.

I think the great expert on experiencing the loveliness of Christ was Samuel Rutherford. His letters are well wroth a browse.

No comments: