Sunday 23 November 2008

Spirit-empowered preaching

We had a blessed time in the service of the LORD yesterday, and He was so near to us. People left the service and there was none of the trivia spoken that normally accompanies worshippers as they leave the services. There was that hush of eternity, that deeply spiritual presence, as if the Holy Spirit was carrying every word I had spoken right into the hearts of the hearers.

Whilst I had prepared in my usual thorough manner, I did not need my notes. This was the first time in years that I had had that precious experience. The message just flowed - I was preaching on Rom1:16f, and asked why is it that sinners need the Gospel? I made the point that if, as we believe, and as Paul states, "the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who believes," where there is no power, CAN THE GOSPEL BE SAID TO BE PREACHED?

Now this really challenged my heart - as I was preaching. What is missing from our preaching if the hearers do not feel the power of God in their midst and hearts? Is this a familiar question? I said that we were fooling ourselves if we believed that God's power attended the preaching if the Gospel of Paul was not being proclaimed.

This was a very special time - and in God's providence, it came at the perfect time for me. God is good, praise His glorious Name.

No comments: