Saturday 24 March 2012

Be Careful!


We must be very careful about making assumptions about a man and about what he believes that might well proved to be false.  I made the assumption that Dr Lloyd-Jones actually believed in 'limited atonement' in the early years of my ministry concerning Lloyd-Jones.  How wrong I was.  In fact, - and this is some confession for a Presbyterian – as a young minister, I rejected Calvin’s commentaries because they were not Calvinistic enough for me – as I then understood the term!  I am now wondering how many Presbyterians and other reformed men read Calvin’s commentaries and especially his sermons!  What a treat is in for you, and, my, what soul-delighting gems you’ll find in the great reformer’s sermons.  Also, we must only go as far as Scripture and no further; and stick to the plain meaning of the text.  This characterised DLMJ and his great mentor John Calvin.  Allow the Scripture to speak out its own message, and don’t try to improve on it by adding to what it teaches the thoughts of men, as reflected in their theological systems, however good. 

For further information on Dr D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, please click here, and here.

No comments: